Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Comparing Fabric Results!

As I enjoy the summer foliage it occurred to me that it isn't going to last forever! I guess I'd better take advantage of the easy access for sun printing before the change of season begins... not that fall is knocking on the door but I shouldn't waste my good fortune.

I wanted to sun print ferns and grabbed a length of cotton and artist canvas. I used the same method, same paints and the same batch of ferns for each piece but look how different they are! The artists canvas has a very tight weave and given the original use the paints sit on the surface with little seeping through. The cotton is much more porous and easily absorbs more paint. 

When you compare the end results the canvas is a much brighter piece. They each have their charm and maybe I'll continue to add to the cotton... maybe some stamps or other embellishment to give it some more pizazz!

Artist Canvas - the small spots are sun printed stones
 
Cotton - the same colors were used as the canvas piece above!

Artist Canvas - Detail

Cotton - Detail
Have you noticed differences between the various surfaces you've painted on?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful results, Carol! Interesting about the difference between the canvas and the fabric. The only thing I can think of is that canvas probably absorbs more paint than the fabric, so that might make it more vibrant. Are you using any particular brand of fabric paints on these? I haven't tried much sun painting, and would love to give it a try, but have very little fabric paint on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use translucent Seta Color paints. I haven't veered too far away from this brand as I find it easy to work with and like the results. I buy it from www.dharmatradingco.com.

      When I painted on the canvas I needed to use more paint to cover the area. I have an itch to create a really large piece so I'll have to mix up plenty of paint before I get started. The weather in CT is supposed to be perfect for the next 3 or 4 days so I need to get outside and paint!

      Delete